-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: unclerichard <unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:00:41 +1200

Rick" The problem with Knoppix could be anything from a faulty disc to possibly
a hidden partition
on your HD.

As for distro I would go for either Redhat 9 or Mandrake 9.1 Both have an easy
install setup and
seem to be able to cope with a wide range of hardware.

If you run WINXP, you'll find dual booting a major problem but I have dual
booted Linux with WIN98
and Win ME.

Both Redhat and Mandrake have a partition manager that will resize your the
active partition on your
HD. Just remember to run scandisl and defrag before hand. Both also have a
bootloader - Grub is
best - to handle a dual boot.

For WIN XP either put it on your second HD or boot the linux partition from a
floppy disk. I would
suggest the former.

THere are a number of boot managers out there and I would suggest you do some
research.

I should make clear I make no claim to be a Linux or any other kind of expert
and others on this
list are free to make any corrections they feel necessary,

Richard Innes
Auckland New Zealand
unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx