-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 09:22:54 -0500

It takes more than two partitions, but the swap and the root are the most
important.  You could lean up the Windows install and 15 Gb each should be
more than enough.  Try 20 Windows and 10 Linux if not.

On 5/23/2003 at 11:10 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
BashfulBob was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  That would work for my desktops. Right know I
          |  have RedHat Linux 8.0 on a
          |  hopped up 233 to 266 with a 2 gig HD desktop.
          |
          |  However I could use Linux for school. I use a laptop with XP
          |  home light 30
          |  gig HD formatted in NFTS and I plan to wipe it clean and
          |  install XP Pro
          |  (format to fat32 or NFTS) on it before school starts and
          |  wanted to reserve
          |  some space on its HD for Linux, to be used in a Linux class I
          |  will be taking
          |  in the fall or spring. My understanding is Linux wants two
          |  partitions, one
          |  for a swap partition. I am assuming that the two Linux
          |  partitions would use
          |  up 4 to 5  gigs total and divide the remaining in half for XP
          |  Pro. So as you
          |  can see a second HD is out of the question unless I spring for
          |  an external
          |  HD. Being tight in the budget, I do not for see that.
          |
          |  Welcome your suggestions.
          |  Life is what happens in between plans.
          |
          |  Virus free email by Norton's

          |  >           |
          |  >           |  When you partition the disk for multiple OS's
          |  (say 98SE and
          |  >           |  Linux) what type
          |  >           |  of partition do you make Linux and do you let
          |  Linux do the
          |  >           |  partitions or can
          |  >           |  you use something like partition magic.
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  Same question applies if you use Win2k with
          |  Linux.
          |  >           |
<unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          |  >           |  To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          |  >           |  Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 5:00 PM
          |  >           |  Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > Rick" The problem with Knoppix could be
          |  anything from a
          |  >           |  faulty disc to
          |  >           |  possibly a hidden partition
          |  >           |  > on your HD.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > As for distro I would go for either Redhat 9
          |  or Mandrake
          |  9.1
          |  >           |  Both have an
          |  >           |  easy install setup and
          |  >           |  > seem to be able to cope with a wide range of
          |  hardware.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > If you run WINXP, you'll find dual booting a
          |  major problem
          |  >           |  but I have dual
          |  >           |  booted Linux with WIN98
          |  >           |  > and Win ME.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > Both Redhat and Mandrake have a partition
          |  manager that will
          |  >           |  resize your
          |  >           |  the active partition on your
          |  >           |  > HD. Just remember to run scandisl and defrag
          |  before hand.
          |  >           |  Both also have a
          |  >           |  bootloader - Grub is
          |  >           |  > best - to handle a dual boot.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > For WIN XP either put it on your second HD or
          |  boot the
          |  linux
          |  >           |  partition
          |  >           |  from a floppy disk. I would
          |  >           |  > suggest the former.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > THere are a number of boot managers out there
          |  and I would
          |  >           |  suggest you do
          |  >           |  some research.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > I should make clear I make no claim to be a
          |  Linux or any
          |  >           |  other kind of
          |  >           |  expert and others on this
          |  >           |  > list are free to make any corrections they
          |  feel necessary,
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > Richard Innes
          |  >           |  > Auckland New Zealand
          |  >           |  > unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >           |  > //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  > To access our Archives:
> [...]
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >           |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >           |  To access our Archives:
          |  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
          |  >           |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/