-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 05:32:24 -0500

Just a point to be accurate here.

Linux is NOT owned by anybody, just the writer and he wrote the conditions
so that it is in public domain. In other words, the public owns it and
therefore it is free to anyone. He further stipulated that anyone using the
source code to write any programs for it, those programs belong to the
public.

That is why you can down load Redhat from their site for free. Sure it takes
about 36 hours (56k modem d/l if I remember correctly) to down load the
whole thing. If you prefer not to take that long, you can buy it from them,
BUT it is offered for free. Buying it from them entitles you to benefits
they offer on a personal basis.

There are other versions of Linux. The Mandrake version comes to mind and
there are others.

If you come across the article, I would be interested in hearing more.

Hope this makes sense as it is too early in the morn.
Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you