-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: unclerichard <unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 09:19:44 +1200

I have experimented with Linux for the last three years with mixed results.

To answer your two specific questions:

The latest are the easiest to install, especially Mandrake 9.1 and Red Hat 9.
The best to date is
SuSE 8.2 but though you can d/l ISO discs you are more likel;y to have better
results buying the box
set. Unfortunately they cost more than most Linux distros though no where near
as expensive as that
other well know OS. The Debian nased Linux OS's tend more towards a text based
installtion, however
they are on the whole more stable and somewhat easiest to update.

I have used a second PIII/500 256RAM box for my Linux OS. I have run Linux
successfully dual boot
with WINME. Unfortunately, WINXP has a different boot process and though there
are work around dual
booting XP and Linux is problematical. For starters I would recommend a second
box for your Linux.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the latest :Linux OS's they are now
very comparable with
Windows, particularly if you take total costs into account.

Richard Innes
Auckland New Zealand
unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx