-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:28:21 -0500

Hi Teri,
    I'm less of a Linux expert than you are (I haven't even begun to
research it yet), so wait for further confirmation of my thoughts below
before following any of them.          ;O}

    It's my severely limited understanding that Linux requires two
partitions for its own use.  One for the OS & data and a separate one just
for its Swapfile.  If I'm remembering correctly, Linux also prefers its own
File system (like the way Windows uses FAT, FAT32 & NTFS), but most distros
can 'see' (and maybe use) at least one of the Windows formats.  I'm not sure
if Linux MUST use its own for the Swapfile partition or not.  Hopefully, you
can understand what I'm trying to say and go find out the truth.  I'd just
hate for you to create a single partition when you need two or use the wrong
format for the file system and have the Linux experiment fail before it can
even get started.

Peace,
GMan