-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: "Andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:56:41 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>

> What's the advantage of running Linux over Windows?  I know very little
about Linux, but gather that the networking options are easier to set up in
it than in Windows.  I talked to someone recently who is networking 4
computers in his home.  He has Windows on all 4 but is running Linux on his
server.

<<<

The big advantage Linux has it that it's basically free!!  You should see
what they package into the Knoppix 'O/S on a CD' we were discussing a couple
of days ago...There's a fully functioning office suite, web browsers, mail
clients...plus games, and all manner of other useful tools and programs-all
completely and utterly free.

The other supposed advantage that Linux has over Windows is reliability.
Hmm...Up to ME, maybe but not with W2000 or XP-I can't remember my XP system
ever crashing  Also , Linux will run well on machines with lower
specifications, though as Windows becomes much more robust and slower
machines disappear to 'computer heaven', these two factors will become less
of an issue.

I played with Linux a couple of years ago, and it did my head in, but this
Knoppix version is virtually as easy as Windows to use.  I don't see it ever
replacing Windows for me, as most of the software I have won't run on it
(Though there is even a Windows Emulator for Linux) but it is much more
'user friendly' now.

Cheers

Andy