-=PCTechTalk=- Re: LCD Guru's - what about this monitor?

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:27:19 -0400

Rudy,
    While I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence in whatever I say, I
am just as prone to error as anyone else here (or anywhere else, for that
matter).  If I say something that strikes you as odd, please don't hesitate
to call me out on it.  "Sometime, da teacha become da student."        :O)

    In this case, I culled my max resolution info from the following CompUSA
ad, which could very well be in err.

http://wapurl.co.uk/?N62FF0T

    Without looking at the two links you sent, I'm immediately drawn to the
one with the anti-glare coating, specifically since you said that you expect
to use it under flourescent lighting.  Flourecents can wreak havok with your
eyes when staring at a monitor for relatively long periods of time under
them.  Auto-sensing backlight dimmers won't help you anywhere near as much
as the anti-glare coating.  Having said that, don't buy a monitor purely on
the basis of a built-in coating.  You can always buy a clip-on coated screen
separately for any size monitor (and should already have one on the monitor
you're currently using).

    After checking out the sites, I'd prefer the Hanns for a couple of
reasons.  First it includes a 3 year warrantee, where the Megavision
provides only a single year.  The Hanns also has a wide viewing angle in
both directions.  I've never liked bring too tied to a specific angle for
looking at a screen, especially with the moving around that I do at my PC
desk.  Finally, I also appreciate the inclusion of the 4 USB ports on the
side of the monitor.  While I have plenty in easy reach for what I need
right now, that's always subject to change and it's good to know they're so
close and easily accessable.

    I do wish the Hanns unit had also included the individual component
inputs that come standard on the Megavision, but this is a minor gripe
compared to the features of the Hanns.

Peace,
GMan