-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installing SP2 & Flashing Bios

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:17:00 -0500

Frandy wrote:
> I am running WinXP Home on a Dell Dimension 8300, Intel Pentium 4 processor
> at 2.6GHz,Bios Version AO1 and it has been suggested that I need to flash the
> bios (the thought of which scares me to death).
###  Why?  Why has it been suggested that you flash the BIOS?  Not
necessary for SP2 unless there is a specific reason given on the Dell
website.

  I have purchased a new IntelliMouse Explorer (to replace my Logitech
Wheel Mouse) and my Epson printer gave up the ghost so I have purchased
a HP PSC 1315 all-in-one, even though I have a working HP Scanjet 3500c.
What steps, in order, should I take to prepare for installing SP2 from
the CD-Rom.
###  Clean the machine of any spyware, virus, and/or trojans.  Recommend
using Spybot S&D as well as Adaware.  Make sure your AV program is
up-to-date and then do a COMPLETE system scan. Remove programs and
drivers for anything that you're no longer going to use.

Should I remove the software for the scanner and mouse from the control
panel,
###  Not necessary.

  should I flash the bios first,
###  Again, not necessary.

then add the new hardware.
###  Add the hardware before or after.  Should make no difference unless
there is a new driver for SP2.  Check the websites.

  Do I really need to flash the bios?
###  Only if there is a specific reason given on the manufacturer's
website regarding the BIOS and SP2.

What problems might I encounter and how do I recover?
###  Who knows?  If you are like the vast majority of users of XP and
SP2, none at all.  Most people have upgraded without a hitch.  Those
that have had problems have generally had a virus, spyware or an oddball
software problem.  For major pieces of software, check the
manufacturer's website for advisories on SP2.

  Should I set a System Restore for each step as I proceed?
###  Yes.  Also, as with any upgrade, the possibility that things CAN go
wrong always exists.  So back up anything that is critical; that you
absolutely can't lose.  And then do the update.

  This system also includes an All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro TV tuner
graphics card if that is pertinent info.
###  It might be.  Have you checked the ATI website for new drivers? Or
any notices regarding SP2?

> Any suggestions that would steer me in the right direction would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks for your help

You're welcome

Tom