-=PCTechTalk=- Installing SP2 & Flashing Bios

  • From: Frandy <jskene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:18:19 -0500

I am running WinXP Home on a Dell Dimension 8300, Intel Pentium 4 processor at
2.6GHz,Bios Version AO1 and it has been suggested that I need to flash the bios
(the thought of which scares me to death). I have purchased a new IntelliMouse
Explorer (to replace my Logitech Wheel Mouse) and my Epson printer gave up the
ghost so I have purchased a HP PSC 1315 all-in-one, even though I have a
working HP Scanjet 3500c. What steps, in order, should I take to prepare for
installing SP2 from the CD-Rom. Should I remove the software for the scanner
and mouse from the control panel, should I flash the bios first, then add the
new hardware. Do I really need to flash the bios?  What problems might I
encounter and how do I recover? Should I set a System Restore for each step as
I proceed? This system also includes an All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro TV tuner
graphics card if that is pertinent info.
Any suggestions that would steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help
Frandy