-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installing SP2 & Flashing Bios

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:28:01 -0500

Frandy-

I've looked through the BIOS updates and none of them seem to address
any issues regarding updating to SP2.  However, the BIOS update process
has been greatly simplified.  Here are the instructions for running the
update from Windows, once you've downloaded the update to your desktop:

Link will wrap
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R86308&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&category=1&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=308&devlib=1&fileid=113031#2Win

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment

1.) Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled D8300A07.EXE.
     The Dell BIOS Flash window appears

2.) Click the Continue button.
     The message 'Pressing OK will close all applications,
     shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot.' appears.

3.) Click the OK button.
     The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed.

This seems to be pretty straight forward and has only one risk: If you
lose power during the flash operation, there may be damage to the BIOS.
  If you have a UPS, make sure you are connected to that.  And, unless
you have really shaky power where you live, I wouldn't worry about it.

So go ahead and flash the BIOS.  It looks like Dell has made it much
easier now.

Also, if you are making hardware changes, remove the hardware you won't
be using anymore and any software with it that won't be used.  Install
the new mouse.  Do the update.  Install the new all-in-one.  Go on to
other things.  I see no reason why you would have conflicts with the
all-in-one and the scanner under SP2 that you wouldn't have had under SP1.

And one thing to remember about systems and potential problems:  There
is no other system on the planet just like yours.  None.  So what
happens during an update like SP2 will be totally unique to your system
and cannot be predicted with any degree of accuracy except to say that
millions and millions of people with similar systems have done the
update with out any problems at all.  So, rather than try to anticipate
any specific problem, follow the general guidelines for doing the update
and THEN, if you have problems, ask and we'll help fix them as best we can.

Tom