-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:28:14 -0500

Ok... the toolbars you might just have to re-customize. Because, if I =
understand you correctly, that's what you mean, right? Just the =
customization of the toolbar above? It may be tedious in that you have =
to do it again, but there's nothing really to lose that you can't =
regain. Unless someone else can tell you how to save the settings.

What you could try is this. Go to the installation folder. By default, =
it should be c:\program files\mozilla firefox.

Save that entire folder. But, save it in a way that when you remove it =
you're not going to accidentally delete the copy. If you can zip it, zip =
up the whole folder. Now... make sure you just backup the main =
installation folder that I'm mentioning here. Do not backup the =
additional Mozilla or Firefox folders created in your c:\documents and =
settings\*user*\ directory.

After you have that saved and tucked away, go ahead and uninstall =
Firefox. Then, after its uninstalled, do a separate search, one for =
FIREFOX and one for MOZILLA. Delete every instance of it (making sure =
you do not delete that backup). By the way, on the Windows search =
screen, make sure the options are set to search hidden files.

After everything is removed, go ahead and take that backup and place it =
right back in the program files directory. It'll basically be the =
Firefox installation folder, but without the installation process. Now, =
go and install Firefox the normal way, making sure that when asked the =
installation folder is the same c:\program files\mozilla firefox. In =
essence, you are reinstalling Firefox over itself.

This MIGHT work on saving the settings and toolbars, but its not =
guaranteed. Just a warning.

Regarding the bookmarks... even if you can't get into the program to =
EXPORT the bookmarks, you can actually go into the Windows explorer =
window and dig up the bookmark folder that you normally would have been =
creating. If Firefox is installed to the default locations, it should be =
located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\C. Ippolito\Application =
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and somewhere in there keep following the =
folder and eventually you will find a bookmarks.html file. THIS is the =
backup of your bookmarks. Save this one. And, you can verify that these =
are your bookmarks by just double-clicking the file. It'll open up in =
your default browser. If the default browser is Firefox, then that's =
obviously a problem. Instead, right-click the bookmarks.html file and =
select OPEN WITH... Internet Explorer. You should now see your bookmarks =
to verify this is the file you want.

Regarding converting bookmarks from Firefox to Opera... I've never tried =
this, but check out this thread on another forum. People with the same =
issues discussing a few apps that can do this:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=3D44938

Hope this helps!

---Troth