-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:59:32 -0500

Ok... this is good. Well, the result is not good, but its good cause at =
least we're getting down to what the problem 'might' be. I say 'might' =
because 'operating outside of normal specifications' is not necessarily =
horrible.

Did it tell you what numbers were outside the norm? If so, what were =
they? Did you notice if it said there were bad sectors?

Should the end result end up being that the drive is bad, all is not =
lost. Your operating system, Windows, is running on that drive. So, yes, =
a bad drive can cause all sorts of problems. But, the actual data that =
you need and that should normally be backed up on occasion will very =
likely still be there and accessible. Unfortunately, Firefox might be =
one of the applications that resides on the bad sectors.

I think you said you have an old system, right? Its not one where you =
can go back to where you bought to make modifications and/or upgrades, =
right?

You have to weigh the cost of your stuff on there. IF the drive is bad, =
and you do not feel comfortable swapping out the hard drive and then =
trying to retrieve the items on the old and possible bad drive, CompUSA =
and other local computer shops can do it for a fee, usually not too bad =
a price. Although, not all CompUSA's and local shops are created equal. =
Some guys know what they're doing, others will SAY they know what =
they're doing but pretty much don't. Again... only if you're not =
comfortable doing it yourself. Its really not hard at all to replace the =
hard drive. The harder part you have is retrieving the old stuff. You =
would essentially connect the bad drive to your system as a second =
drive, a slave. It would then show up on your system as the D drive (if =
you only had 2 hard drives). But, this is after fully reinstalling =
Windows from scratch onto the new hard drive. All your data would now be =
on the secondary drive, and you basically have to sift through it to =
find the stuff you need and want to retrieve.

Betty... while its all quite easy to do, I'm not going to type it all =
out now. It's a lot to explain to you in one post. Point here is this. =
If you want to go ahead and do any hard drive replacing, just say so and =
we'll tell you how to do it a bit at a time. And, I will also give you a =
bunch of links that you can refer to as well that will not only tell you =
HOW to do it, but a few extra tips on it. All you need to do is say =
'let's do it'. We do a step at a time. It'll take you some time if =
you're not familiar with the process.

But... for now... next step is finding out if your drive truly is bad. =
See the questions I asked all the way above.

---Troth