-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:03:56 -0500

The lowest cost and fastest way to get this problem fixed is to buy a
replacement hard drive.  Both Troth and I have described a technique to
accomplish that.

Both of us will be happy to talk you through the process of changing out the
drive, but many retail stores like CompUSA and Best Buy will be happy to
install it for a reasonable fee... around 40 to $50 in my local area.

Did you buy an extended warranty plan from Dell when you bought the
computer?  I buy Dell products also and I always buy a 3-year plan.  The
extra bucks are well worth it.  I make up the cost difference by buying from
the outlet store... I got the same computer/monitor/warranty package for
about $300 bucks less.

Check the paperwork that came with your computer... look for the warranty on
the harddrive.  You might have some coverage there.  Can't find it?  Log on
to the hard drive website and contact the support service.  Ask about the
problem and any warranty service you might be entitled to.

New hard drives in reasonable sizes can be had for under $100.   A used 40GB
from a local sales/service store may run about 10 - $20.  Brand new
computers are being advertised for under $300.

If your Dell replaced another computer, you might could take the hard drive
out of it and use it in the Dell at least temporarily... or maybe a friend
has an unused computer or hard drive in the closet or garage that they will
give/loan/sell cheap.  I have 2 or 3 40GB drives and two old computers
laying around collecting dust.  If you lived nearby I'd be happy to set you
up with a drive.

Search the internet for local computer user groups.   Might find a used hard
drive or computer or help with the problem.  Use keywords    computer user
group   along with your city, county or state name.  Here's an example for
my local area...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=computer+user+group+brevard+&btnG=Search

just replace  brevard  with your local area.

A computer user group is great.  Very helpful and friendly.  Usually weekly
or monthly meetings.  Help with problems.  Teach computer stuff.  Buy sell
trade give away software and computer stuff.   Little or no dues.  Very nice
and helpful people.  Just like PCTT only up close and personal.

Component Services?????  That one is for Troth.  :-))

Don