[pchelpers] Re: AVG doesn't run in safe mode

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:26:32 -0500

Hi Ekhart,

Saturday, June 12, 2004, 2:23:09 AM, you wrote:

EGlnl> You're right; looks like i misunderstood something i'd heard. I guess

I think Apple *did* claim it during some lawsuit or other, not
certain.  I'm too lazy to go look at the Apple_v._Microsoft link at
the moment, but I suppose it discusses that.

EGlnl> commercialize a GUI. Does that mean the Xerox Alto wasn't a commercial
EGlnl> success?

This was in the home computer era, I think, before IBM and Microsoft
made things relatively standard.  I think most of the Xerox stuff was
research-oriented, not commercial.

I remember watching Windows 3.x start up on them old PCs; quite slow,
even on a 12Mhz or so.

EGlnl> PS Wikipedia is wonderful. That reminds me to take a look at and
EGlnl> contribute to your helpdesk wiki once i have time. One thing i wanted to
EGlnl> suggest was correcting the keyboard input for resizing columns from
EGlnl> Alt-+ to Ctrl+"plus sign on number pad" (and changing the minus sign in
EGlnl> all the keyboard commands to a plus sign, or did you have a reason to
EGlnl> differ from the common notation?)

I'd prefer for it to be standard.

The last few weeks, both on the list and at work, have provided many
subjects, such as how to identify, remove, and prevent malware, and
how to repair Verifone Tranz 330 and 380 credit card terminals
(includes diagnostic keyboard commands that I've been totally unable
to find online). It's easy enough to simply call the help desk, but
that starts to sound rather ridiculous when you have 3 dozen terminals
to test and put back into service... :) Unfortunately, I've been
trying to get some other stuff out of the way, so haven't bothered to
poke at it. Feel free to contribute to existing pages or make new
pages, as needed.

--Scott.