[pchelpers] Re: AVG doesn't run in safe mode

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:23:09 +0300

Hi Scott

> EGlnl> If you've never been in DOS and entered mystical commands instead of
> EGlnl> clicking on buttons in a graphical user interface (invented by Apple),
>
> Ok, I got my money on the table... where's your money?  :)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

You're right; looks like i misunderstood something i'd heard. I guess
what i'd heard was that Apple was the first to commercialize and
popularize a GUI and that Microsoft "stole" this from Apple due to some
legal trick.

Thanks for the link: In reading that, i found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_v._Microsoft
which made me remember the original line of reasoning that, in fact,
Apple was only the first to popularize, whereas Xerox was the first to
commercialize a GUI. Does that mean the Xerox Alto wasn't a commercial
success?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

Ek

PS Wikipedia is wonderful. That reminds me to take a look at and
contribute to your helpdesk wiki once i have time. One thing i wanted to
suggest was correcting the keyboard input for resizing columns from
Alt-+ to Ctrl+"plus sign on number pad" (and changing the minus sign in
all the keyboard commands to a plus sign, or did you have a reason to
differ from the common notation?)