[opendtv] Re: UHF reception

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:03:10 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Craig,
> Cliff and I raised and agreed upon this issue from the beginning.
>
> I do seem to recall that at some point early in this discussion
> you stated that the Broadcast Networks were committed to their
> valuable and profitable O&Os and would never do them harm, as I
> had suggested would happen. That was long ago and much verbiage
> has spilled over this dam, so if I now have you confused with
> someone else, I apologize.

In fairness to Craig, the only "protecting" I ever heard him speak of is
"the NTSC franchise," and that was stated more like "milk it for all
it's worth," and then drop OTA.

Matter of fact, Craig's position was from way back that broadcasters
didn't take the whole digital transition thing seriously for the longest
time. Expecting it somehow to fail or otherwise go away? I'm guessing on
that last sentence. He also suggested more than once that the poor
performance of early ATSC receivers served broadcasters well, because it
meant keeping NTSC around longer.

And he keeps talking about how people will all go to cable after they
lose OTA reception on 18 Feb 2009. So, from what I've been reading, I
don't think Craig was ever one to predict a long and prosperous FOTA TV
in the US. O&O or otherwise.

I don't know if these hidden agendas everyone talks about are real. They
seem to be real, judging for example by how slowly improved OTA products
appeared on store shelves, in tiny quantities, and with very little
selection, not to mention clueless salespeople. But this Obama
administration and Democrat-leaning Congress, I predict, would not
countenance such behavior. If only proof could be provided to them. And
the economic downturn, at least in the short term, can only help the
cause of FOTA TV.

And just as an aside, this is just one example of my puzzlement on John
McCain's supposed maverick status. Could he not have seen what OTA
broadcasters are up against?