[opendtv] Re: UHF reception

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:43:54 -0800

Well, thanks Kon.  I think I -- having written a few offering circulars in
my life -- will start to draft a list of Viacel risk factors, as of 2000.
I'm not so sure, but I think you have outlined about six below.

And, you provide new information that leads me to believe that Viacel was a
first-generation "Nokia captive" in the "alternative mass wireless
transmission/broadcasting space."

Here's a prelimary peek:

Risk Factors

Risk of being captive to a single vendor and major investor with no
experience in the mass transmission field
Risk of bad vendor selection
Risk of lack of engineering management
Risk of selection of transmission standard not approved by the F.C.C.
Risk of lack of understanding of FCC rules and regulations
Risk of bad management
Risk of inability to attain additional funding
Risk of being unable to win large enough spectrum slices via auction
Risk of being unable to afford to purchase or produce popular programming
Risk of being uninterested in associating with new, innovative vendors
General Technological Risk
Risk of being unable to attract consumer equipment vendors beyond Nokia

(these, in addition to the more general ones involving start-up enterprises
and broadcast-like entities)

John Willkie