[opendtv] Re: UHF reception

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:41:08 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> We had at least four meetings with McCain's staff and a
> hundred phone calls. I don't know if they ever understood
> what we were saying but we showed our mobile video in at
> least two of those meetings.

I wouldn't have understood what you were saying either, Bob. How did
your video clue McCain's staff in on how FOTA TV in the US is being
devalued? Did you address the trend of the congloms to move high value
content only to pay-TV walled gardens, for example?

(For that matter, did you mention that your video was demonstrating an
obsolescent modulation standard that Euro broadcasters are now already
having to phase out somehow?)

If I were a staffer expecting someone to explain to me what the congloms
are doing to our precious FOTA TV, I'd be thoroughly confused by your
presentation.

The bit about assigning more spectrum to first responders is essentially
motherhood. A politician has to say that. It's de rigeur. Because
telling the American public that most of this auctioned off spectrum is
going to "greedy corporations" would be unseemly. Especially coming from
a "maverick."

The point that should have been made to McCain's people, though, is that
what *they* consider to be "greedy broadcasters" are in fact being
squeezed out of existence. For example, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if
McCain's folks were staunch supporters of this white space device
initiative, thinking it was high time those greedy broadcasters shared
the wealth.

That particular campaign is water under the bridge. But the issues
facing FOTA TV are not. And I'm afraid that all the unfocused and
tangential lobbying is only making matters worse.