[opendtv] Re: UHF reception

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:04:22 -0500

Yes, the writing was on the wall for analog OTA anyway. It was just a wasteful use of spectrum compared to the emerging alternatives made possible by newer technology.

For some years now I have often downloaded Smallville & Supernatural simply because the various free analog or low def digital versions on OTA or analog cable were worse quality than something I could get in a few minutes on the net. Analog could not have continued to compete anyway. It was doomed.

But the networks, content owners, and/or 'conspirators' had better be careful what they wish for if they really expect to destroy free advertising supported TV. Information distribution is becoming more or less free these days and that does not well support those with dreams of a continuing monopoly based upon distribution channels.

So it's not just OTA I believe in but free advertising supported content, even if off the net. I'm really a bit disappointed local news has not picked up on this more since the local stations DO mostly have a monopoly on creating this content and probably the rights to distribute it however they want (don't they?). I personally feel local broadcasters should be simulcasting everything on the web whenever contracts and IP rights don't forbid it or make it too costly. Local broadcasters have all the infrastructure in place for creating local content and blending it with advertising. Would it still be considered broadcasting if not all of it came off a tower? How much of the business would even change? Same content, same business model, delivering more eyeballs.

The nice thing about free advertising supported content is you don't have to tie yourself in knots trying to copy protect it and making sure nobody gets it without paying. You want more viewers, just like the TV of yesteryear.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
It occurs to me that you guys are largely confusing "creative destruction"
with "destruction."

It was plainly the case that a forced conversion to digital television from
analog (the U.S. implementation of same) was going to change "television
broadcasting as we knew it."

This is running alongside the accretion of what used to be the whole
enchilada to the wider selections of cable and satellite.
I would offer that if the transition hadn't been launched, that television
broadcasting would be in worse shape now than it is.  There is uncertainty
in the transition, sure.  There is also the power and flexibility of one or
more toolkits to make television something that it could never be in the
analog world.

And, it's plainly ridiculous to assert that the NAB intended, through the
transition, to destroy television broadcasting.  They clearly represent the
views and intentions of television broadcasters.  Sure there are unintended
consequences, but the greater risk was doing nothing.

I really think that you folk need to do several "risk assessments",
including one that includes a world with analog over the air broadcasting
and a cable infrastructure able to transmit HDTV, and see how that looks
compared to what we have today.

And, "man up!"

John Willkie