[opendtv] Re: UHF reception

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:15:30 -0800

Just what in the hell do your comments or trips to talk with the people who
work with politicians have to do with 1) UHF reception or 2) engineering?

You are simply lost, and you persist in trying to fight a battle that was
lost around December 2000.  Yet, I note from previous comments you have
posted here, that you have insulted Mark Aitken (one of your allies in that
time frame) because his (non-engineering) beliefs don't agree with yours.
That exchange was telling as to how you went out of your way to insult him,
and how he dealt with you.

I tend to favor the "evolution" position, but I'm younger than you, and I
learned a long time ago how to discuss my positions on such matters with
others that don't share my -- beliefs -- sometimes learning something, but
never creating a hostile situation.

Mark has -- stirringly -- made "lemonade" out of his then-engineering
concerns, as members of the OMVC and ATSC TSG/MH subcommittees can attest,
and even fools like you will be able to get a whiff of in short order (I
think.)

You, on the other hand, are not only selling old bitter lemons, you are
recounting how others who then gave you lip service "did you wrong."

When/if ATSC M/H comes about, you will probably find -- if you can get
beyond the bitterness and recrimination -- that it not only solves much of
the issues you had with 8-VSB, but that it puts the ball into a whole new
stadium.  One I talked about even in 1999: ubiquity.  However, in fairness,
the ubiquity is in an entirely different direction than I thought was
important back then.

Your contribution to trying to make things better: zero.  Mark's:
immeasurable.  Mine: minor, but I did win a few important technical battles.

And, I still think that your posts after the "drinking lamp" is lit are less
coherent than those during daylight hours.  I note that alcohol is a
depressant, and you seem to be fixated on your previous losses.

You know just about zero about engineering, as your youngest daughter has
recently learned.  And, you tend to lie, like about the "struggling" Richard
Bogner's LPTV station in NYC, which bills $500,000 per month (and pays a
significant tower fee, but that's the price of admission in NYC
broadcasting) transmitting a radio signal.

Man up!

John Willkie