[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:11:21 -0700

>From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:29:43 -0800
>
>GerryK wrote:
>> another consideration that has not yet been mentioned is aesthetics -
>> women hate wires,
>
>And, they hate multiple Remote Controls possibly even more, at least in my
>house.
>The remote control for our Samsung 50" DLP is very versatile and controls
>the rudimentary functions of several of our seven STB type devices but we
>can't seem to get by with less than four remotes. Certain buttons on the
>Samsung RC have multiple functions, depending on which box is under
control,
>to my wife's unending frustration! We now have this somewhat under control
>after my writing a two page "how to" instruction set with several revision
>and by numbering the RCs to lessen the confusion.

UWB will take care of the wires, although it's likely to cost you more.

The multiple remote issue is stickier, but manageable with even a cheap
"universal" remote -- as long as you are willing to accept that the one
remote will not give you access to every button/feature of every device. In
my house we manage quite well with just one. The Cox remote takes care of
the HD-PVR box (obviously), the HDTV display on/off, the A/V receiver (input
selection and volume) and the DVD player. This doesn't allow me, for
example, to change audio effects like different cinema modes or concert hall
venues without searching for the A/V receiver remote or getting up off the
couch, but I rarely change those settings anyway. For everyday TV/PVR use,
DVD, CD audio, even Xbox, PS2 or Windows PC (another input selection on the
A/V receiver), a single, cheap universal remote covers the most commonly
used functions.

Certainly a "wonder box" that integrates all those functions would control
them with just one remote. But to me, that's no different than what I have
now, with a significant downside -- inability to upgrade just one piece.

-- Frank