[opendtv] Re: PAL

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:14:44 -0500

As I recall GE was the chief proponent of VIRS, back before RCA was gobbled
up.

The unfortunate part of GCR signals was that the work by Charles Dietrich
and Arthur(?) Goldberg on repetitive-PN127 was not well understood by Zenith
engineers.  So the frame header was not well designed for ATSC.  Of course,
the breadth of the echo spectrum in the time domain was under-estimated by
everyone at the time.

Interestingly, the Chinese also seem to have been oblivious to the power of
repetitive PN sequences to generate channel impulse response using a simple
PN match filter.  So, their LG coaches may well be in the dark on the
subject.

Al