[opendtv] Re: PAL

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:31:05 -0500

Dale, I reported what I recalled being told by others at RCA.  Upon
reflection I wonder if some of the comments concerning maintaining color
fidelity during telephone line transmission pertained to the SECAM system
developed by French engineers.

I presume that chroma and luma were transmitted separately over a pair of
dedicated phone lines.  In that case PAL would help in compensating for
non-linear phase response in the chroma phone line that would cause color
shifts in finer details.  This would be done by transverse filtering
adjacent horizontal scans of chroma info.  However, this is conjecture; I
had no direct experience with the phone line problems.

I don't have my reference material concerning NTSC and PAL to refer to
anymore.  Hurricane Charlie ruined it.

Al Limberg