[opendtv] Re: PAL

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:31:44 -0800

Bert Wrote:
> Maybe we're talking about the same thing, but I thought it was meant to
> solve the problem of colors shifting in receivers as a result of phase
> distortion in transmission?

That is correct, though the Phase shifts were also often caused by poor
equipment setup at stations. Over the years these problems were addressed in
a number of ways, such as by adding color reference to the video's vertical
blanking area but, better receiver color processing design was also a major
factor.
The PAL solution was clearly elegant design and was successful in solving a
significant problem but it did add other baggage to the signal. But, as I
said before, the significantly increased available transmission bandwidth
together with the 625 scan lines are the main factors in the systems better
picture quality.

Dale