[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:39:03 -0400

John Golitsis wrote:

> First you specify 4:3 or 16:9 in the setup menu,
> as you would with  any other DVD player.  Then
> you can zoom based on that aspect ratio
>
> I used to sell a particular model of DVD player
> that offered arbitrary X-Y scaling.  It was very
> popular with the PAL crowd.  That  unit would
> certainly let you do 3:1.

Okay. Now, if I understand what you're describing,
this unit is a more flexible version of what my
DVD players do, but it doesn't really support what
Craig wants.

It essentially allows complete flexibility in the
way one would fit arbitrary CONTENT aspect ratio
within a 4:3 or 16:9 display. If I play Ben Hur,
I could use this unit to fit the very wide image
to my 16:9 screen as I see fit, rather than
enforced letterboxing.

If you plug this into a 720-line 3:1 screen, any
idea how it would react?

At best, I would expect that it would initially put
a small picture in the middle of the 3:1 display.
Essentially a 2.69:1 image letterboxed in a 16:9
frame, in turn pillarboxed because the display is
3:1 rather than 1.77:1. Then, best case, you could
zoom it out to fill most of the 3:1 screen,
degrading the image as you do when watching a
letterboxed TV show on a 16:9 set (which
essentially zooms into a small image).

If it goes this far, not bad. I'm impressed.
However, it's still not a true multiple format
system.