[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:14:54 -0400

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  Yesterday someone mentioned that there are only
>>  two relevant screen aspect ratios, but this is not
>>  true. Plasma and LCD panels often come in a
>>  variety of aspect ratios based on manufacturing
>>  techniques and market considerations (dual use for
>>  large computer displays).  16:10 is a very common
>>  display aspect ratio.
>
>Are you saying that they are marketed as 16:9, e.g.
>in the product listings, but actually measure 16:10?

I was not saying, as there is no legal requirement to give the aspect
ratio. If the product is a computer display the actual raster is
typically given, from which you can calculate the aspect ratio.

There are MANY plasma panels on the market that are not 16:9. As Dan
noted, you will find many panels with more than 1280 samples
horizontally and more than 720 vertically.

>And do they letterbox 16:9 shows, then, or do they
>distort them to fill the frame, or do they crop the
>top and bottom?

I believe that this varies with each product. Letterboxing is quite
common, but many products have the ability to scale the source to
fill the screen with different viewer options. My 1280 x 720 HDTV
monitor has five preset modes for accommodating sources with
different aspect ratios.

>I have no idea how I would set up my DVD players for
>a widescreen monitor that is *not* 16:9. Are you
>that other DVD players than the two I have, as well
>as STBs, have settings other than 4:3 and 16:9?

To the best of my knowledge most DVD players only output 720 x 480,
with the option to choose whether the source is 4:3 or 16:9
(anamorphic widescreen). There are a handful of upconverting DVD
players that output either 720P or 1080i. But these are only
containers for the content, as very few DVDs are release using the
16:9 aspect ratio; most letterbox the original source so that the
original widescreen aspect ratio is preserved.