[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:51:05 +0200

Hello,

Bert Manfredi:
> Maybe they could supply some sort of continuous zoom
> command within the display software, to allow distortion
> free optimization based on the content. I've never seen
> continuous zoom, and all the zoom I've seen degrades the
> picture noticeably.

I've seen it. Someone from the lab gave me his CRT TV when the
CRT died, and I had a spare CRT in the garage so I replaced it.
There was a "special edition" feature box inside, which Herman
had programmed for automatic aspect ratio adaptation without
the panorama mode (i.e. the non-linear horizontal zoom).

So now, when there is letterboxed content, the picture is
automatically enlarged until it fills the (16:9) screen
vertically, and for 4:3 or 14:9 content some black sidebars
("pillars") will remain left and right. The default behaviour
for the AARA is to do also non-linear horizontal zoom until
the sidebars are gone, but our Herman does not like that...
On wider than 16:9 content (i.e. still letterboxed even when
received as "anamorphic") we can also enlarge vertically to
16:9, but then the picture will be distorted somewhat.

And, for your information, most people are remarkably tolerant
to geometrical distortion, which is why we can afford to offer
this feature. You can still switch it to manual, of course.
Also, in this part of the world, there is a significant amount of
16:9 SD content (anamorphic on satellite, letterboxed on cable)
and practically all DVDs (except Titanic, why ?) are anamorphic.
So it is quickly becoming a non-problem for 16:9 displays.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |