[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:19:51 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > I meant to include 16:9 there. Six months ago, most wide
> > screen LCD panels below 30" diameter seemed to be
> > 1024 X 768. A quick check on Best Buy now revealed that
> > many are now either 1366 X 768 or 1280 X 768, even in 23"
> > size.
> >
> > So the former is square pixels, the latter is not.
>
> No, they are ALL square pixel. The latter two are
> widescreen with different display aspect ratios.

Nonsense, Craig. Why do you insist on this? I have a
1024 X 768 set that is 16:9. Those others are also
advertized as 16:9. This is reality. Non-square pixels.

> Brings back memories of the TV sets with electronically
> controlled shutters (doors) that moved like the curtains
> in a movie theater to match the source aspect ratio.

You're still missing the point. In movie theaters, they
can *always* use at least one dimension of the screen
completely. They don't use curtains one both sides and
reduce the height of the image simultaneously. (Unless
during a presentation, for special effect, like looking
through a keyhole.)

If you want to permit customers to achieve this same
optimization potential with their monitors, you have to
provide more options than just 16:9 or 4:3 in players,
recorders, and STBs. You have to provide a setting for
every possible aspect ratio out there.

Otherwise, you'll end up with oddball monitors having black
bars on both sides as well as top and bottom for most of
what's transmitted, or accept either distortion or cropping
if they want to eliminate the persistent black bars.

This is reality. That's why I'm sure Jeroen is right about
standardizing on 16:9 and eliminating 16:10.