[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:21:48 -0400

>Dan Grimes wrote:
>
>>  And how about pixel ratio and spacing?  How does a
>>  1024x1024 fit in a 16:9 screen (Hitachi CMP42V1, Sanyo
>>  PDP-42HIAN, Fujitsu P42HCA30WH)?   Or how about
>>  1366x768 versus 1280x768, both 16:9 (or are they)?
>
>A common LCD format for smallish screens is 1024 X 768.
>
>I think the answer is that the pixels that make up the
>image in the display are not square. The incoming
>signal is transcoded to make this work.

In most cases the pixels ARE square - the primary market for these
products is as computer displays, not TVs.

There are some displays with non square pixels, but these are mostly
designed for TV applications where the pixel aspect ratios do not
matter - i.e. the source is converted to the native display raster.

>However, the material displayed when you've set it up
>for full screen, whether that's for viewing a DVD with
>player set to 16:9, or filling up the screeen with a
>letterboxed show from broadcast TV, is supposed to fill
>the display when the material is 16:9, as far as I have
>seen anyway.

Typically this is the case. You won't notice the distortion if it is
less than 10%, so it really does not matter if a display is (e.g.)
16:9 or 16:10.