[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:24:41 -0700

that "europe" has implemented widescreen signalling has just a bit to do
with the fact that it's part of the DVB spec, and there are test bitstreams
that one can test against.

Not -- yet -- in ATSC world, although there is ongoing work to see if
something like that can be dome here.

However, John, there is much functionality in the MPEG-2 advanced format
description and bar data, well beyond the simple set of widescreen ratios
that you list below.

The real issue, to me, appears to be how quickly receivers adapt to changes
in the descriptor.  Tests that I recently heard about -- performed in
Australia using COFDM -- placed the lag time at 8 frames or more.

Where did I hear about such tests?  Why, the PSIP list that I maintain.  We
had a three-continent discussion on the how and why of dynamically changing
aspect ratios.  Something un-European -- to a good extent -- the issue of a
different aspect ratio in interstitial programming.