[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:42:56 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > A common LCD format for smallish screens is 1024 X 768.
> >
> > I think the answer is that the pixels that make up the
> > image in the display are not square. The incoming
> > signal is transcoded to make this work.
>
> In most cases the pixels ARE square - the primary market
> for these products is as computer displays, not TVs.

I meant to include 16:9 there. Six months ago, most wide
screen LCD panels below 30" diameter seemed to be
1024 X 768. A quick check on Best Buy now revealed that
many are now either 1366 X 768 or 1280 X 768, even in 23"
size.

So the former is square pixels, the latter is not.

> Typically this is the case. You won't notice the
> distortion if it is less than 10%, so it really does not
> matter if a display is (e.g.) 16:9 or 16:10.

Well, if you will permit, this is hardly an endorsement
for oddball aspect ratios. "Just accept some distortion."
I'd reply, "Just give me one of the standard aspect
ratios instead."

However, I think Jeroen's post indicated what seems the
logical trend. Which is, some oddball sizes will in fact
allow letterbox of 16:9 images, and that the trend is to
use true 16:9 in future wide screen displays.

It certainly seems *possible* to add more standard aspect
ratio settings in DVD players, PVRs, and STBs, so that
people can always optimize their display to the material
being shown. But I have not observed that trend. So I
think that the reality is, 4:3 and 16:9 are the standard
ratios.

In movie theaters, the projector lens optimizes the
film's aspect ratio to the screen aspect ratio. You
fill the vertical dimension of the screen and use
curtains to mask the sides (most common), or you fill
the horizontal dimension and leave top and bottom dark
(much less common, but I've seen this), or of course the
entire screen is used when aspect ratios match. That's
what TV monitors should also strive to achieve, IMO. But
to do this, you have to standardize on a well known and
finite number of *display* aspect ratios.