[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:07:51 -0400

>Nonsense, Craig. Why do you insist on this? I have a
>1024 X 768 set that is 16:9. Those others are also
>advertized as 16:9. This is reality. Non-square pixels.

Are you serious? It is 1024 x 768 and it is 16:9.

What kind of display is this, and who makes it?

>If you want to permit customers to achieve this same
>optimization potential with their monitors, you have to
>provide more options than just 16:9 or 4:3 in players,
>recorders, and STBs. You have to provide a setting for
>every possible aspect ratio out there.

Why?

I don't change the screen resolution on my computer when I look at
different movies on my Mac. If I choose the fill screen playback
option, the Quicktime player will maximize the size of the playback
raster to fill one dimension of the screen, no matter what the aspect
ratio of that screen is. I prefer letter boxing to the use of
arbitrary distortion to fill a screen.

DVD players only provide two options for playback, yet there are
almost infinite options in terms of the aspect ratio of the source
that you may see on a DVD.

This is not rocket science - a modern display must accommodate
sources with arbitrary aspect ratios. That's just reality, and it's
no big deal. And it is beneficial when the display system gives the
user options in how to accommodate sources with different aspect
ratios, as most modern HDTV capable displays already do today.

>Otherwise, you'll end up with oddball monitors having black
>bars on both sides as well as top and bottom for most of
>what's transmitted, or accept either distortion or cropping
>if they want to eliminate the persistent black bars.

Bars on the sides or top and bottom are inevitable if you want to see
ALL sources without distortion. But it is absurd to have bars on both
the top and sides. The scaling engine of the display should be able
to fill up at least one axis.

It drives me crazy when I come home and see my Father-in-law watching
a letterboxed movie on  the HDTV display, in a small 16:9 window
inside of the full 16:9 window. I always grab the remote and change
the display to the zoom mode that fills the entire screen.

I'll agree that it might be nice for displays to make these decisions
automatically. This is not difficult with the information in the
headers of a digital broadcast, but it is non trivial for analog
broadcasts.

>This is reality. That's why I'm sure Jeroen is right about
>standardizing on 16:9 and eliminating 16:10.

16:10 is not going away on computer displays - the menu bar and all
of that crap you know...