[opendtv] Re: FTC's Lost Rule: Screen Measurement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:27:23 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Of course, the Europeans have implemented Widescreen
> Signaling  in their widescreen sets and analog
> broadcasts, whereas the United States has not.
> Widescreen signaling can be used to mark the content
> as 4:3, 14:9 letterbox within 4:3, 16:9 letterbox
> within 4:3, or 16:9 anamorphic.

Except we're talking about effective use of oddball
display aspect ratios.

How does this signaling you mention help someone to
avoid black stripes all around the screen when using a
2:1 display to play Ben Hur, in its full 2.69:1
wonderfulness? No matter how you slice it, you'll
either see tall skinny figures or black bars all
around. You're better off with a 16:9 display with
letterboxed image. At least there, you're making use
of the complete width.

What's needed is the continuous zoom feature Jeroen
mentioned, and that applies on both sides of the pond.