[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CHANNELS

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:34:14 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I'm not sure it makes sense but one way to think about all
> this is the goal is control of spectrum, not necessarily use
> of spectrum. It seems everyone has gotten into habits of
> challenging anyone else's use of spectrum for any reason.
> Sort of a monopoly game where you try to stop other players
> from making best use of the air waves. The whole process
> seems economically somewhat inefficient.
>
> I'd call it a conspiracy but it almost seems more of a
> purposeless habit these days. Maybe someone else knows how
> some parties can make some money at playing this.

"Habit" is a good word for it, IMO. The "common wisdom" seems to be that
there are any number of far more worthy uses to put this particular
slice of spectrum to. My guess is that if OTA were used only as a
proprietary, by-subscription-only TV distribution medium, rather than
FOTA, then all this talk about invading its space would be quashed in a
heartbeat.

Part of this is industry scribes writing what is fashionable to say. The
other part is just pure old-fashioned greed. People licking their chops
thinking about all the $ they could make using this OTA spectrum for
their own personal gain.