[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CHANNELS

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:27:34 -0400

Craig,

I'm not intimately involved in the process, but my understanding is that
unallocated TV channels are used for broadcast applications, most often
wireless microphones, for news and sports broadcasts (and in New York,
Broadway theatre performances.)  As most of these channels aren't really
vacant, these links are limited by interference.  It is not easy
shoe-horning in all the people who want to use the system today, not
counting any new users.  As far as I know, it has not been demonstrated
how well the front ends of these new unlicensed devices would be at
detecting whether there is already anyone operating on a channel that
the unlicensed device wants to use.  My understanding is that these
devices are designed to be inexpensive, so how much of the product cost
will be devoted to determining when and where the device *cannot* work?
All that has been stated so far is that these devices *could* check
before they transmit.  This is not an "ethernet" environment where
collisions are expected and most often dealt with by repeating the
transmission before anyone knows that it didn't work the first time.
That is not the strategy used by broadcast devices.

Also, any additional interference could interrupt extant signals
(wireless microphones in this example) while the new services are firing
up and negotiating their own services.  How many times do you think
producers will accept their programs being interrupted in this manner?
I think the number would be less than one, if possible.  Nothing is
worse than seeing lips move and not hearing anything, or hearing hash.
I'm sure you've been there before.  As stated before, it would be
extremely difficult to find the interference source after it occurs, and
even if you did, the damage has been done.

In most markets, there isn't any unused spectrum for these existing
services to move to.  At the risk of sounding nimby-esque, why not let
these new devices use some of the other "new" already
shared-digital-usage spectrum?

Ken Hunold