[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CHANNELS

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:11:45 -0400

At 9:18 AM -0400 10/17/06, Hunold, Ken wrote:

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but my point has been missed (or
perhaps co-opted.)

The type of interference I am referring to is not direct interference to
broadcast stations by unlicensed wireless devices. This could be the
case at the edge of coverage for broadcast stations, but that is a
different debate.

The sort of interference that I am talking about affects the TV
Production industry that feeds the broadcast, cable, and other
entertainment industries.  Unlicensed devices could affect every live
news and sports program origination, and it would be very difficult to
find the source of the problems that these devices would cause.

Ken

What frequency bands are used today for these broadcast applications?

As I understand it, there is an expectation that any uses of these frequencies would be required to check for other users so as NOT to interfere. Also, I would assume that it would be possible for broadcasters to utilize ANY unused frequency for the kind of applications you have described, thus there might be a significant increase in the available frequencies for these applications.