[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CHANNELS

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:03:45 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> First, as I understand the rules these devices would not be
> allowed to operate on frequencies being used by broadcasters
> in the market.

First, how is this deteremined? Is it manually configured (unlikely) or
is it dynamically determined by the device, as IEEE 802.11 access points
do? In the latter case, I think my scenario could easily unfold.

Secondly, who determines what should be considered white space in a
market? Is someone going to decide, for example, that WMPT (PBS in
Annapolis) is not in the DC market? OTA users make use of all the
channels they can get. It's one of the advantages of OTA over umbillical
media, from the user's point of view.

> Second, I think that the adjacent channel problem has been
> overstated. At very low power levels there is very little
> reason to believe that signals on adjacent channels will
> interfere with DIGITAL broadcasts.

Perhaps you have a point for adjacent channels, especially if the
receiver is more selective than some 3rd generation ones. It all depends
on relative power levels *at the receive antenna location*. I'll remind
you that in my case, and in the case of the 4th gen Linx tests, just
about all failures occurred with strong adjacent analog channels. But if
the Charles Rhodes criteria are taken into consideration, and A/74
selectivity suggestions, maybe you're right on adjacent channel
problems.

> If the broadcasters were seriously interested in fielding a
> competitive service, then those challenging the white spaces
> R&O might have a good argument. They could demonstrate how the
> spectrum in each market could be used EFFICIENTLY to offer a
> viable multichannel service.

I'm generally with you here. The broadcasters need to show some
enthusiasm for their product, rather than appear like mere
obstructionists. Definitely true.