[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CHANNELS

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:00:53 -0400

In my neighborhood, the gas mains are thick walled yellow plastic about 6 inches in diameter. The line to my house is a much smaller yellow plastic line, about one inch in diameter. Only after it hits the pressure regulator/meter does it enter metallic pipe, as it enters my home.

To be able to locate these plastic pipes, the utility also runs a yellow jacketed solid core copper wire along with the plastic pipe. This wire, I'd guess about in the 10/12 gauge area, exits the ground at my meter and just sits there. Buried Utility locators can clip a signal generator to this wire, then with the assistance of a special hand held receiver start planting yellow flags and painting yellow stripes marking the course of the plastic pipes.

Which part of this system is going to carry broadband service to my computer?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Your complete lack of engineering knowledge is shown by your thought that broadband over gas lines will leak RF to any significant amount. (bpl is another matter; it's all about leakage.)

First, there is the fact that broadband over gas lines involves ferrous pipes. Have you ever heard about a faraday cage? (It blocks rf.) Gas lines are almost like that; think of them as very thick waveguide. Most waveguide is non-ferrous metal, but they don't leak much.