[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:07:10 -0500

At 11:57 PM -0500 3/24/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>tjharvey@xxxxxxx wrote:
>  > Having been used to only three or four channels in other countries in
>my past, the solution to not finding something on TV is to shut it off
>and read a book, surf the internet or some other activity.
>
>And let us not forget about the PVR channel multiplier effect.  Having a
>machine easily recording things at off hours effectively multiplies your
>   channel choices by a factor of 2 or 3.  So a half dozen channels being
>trolled 24 hours / day is likely more than enough content for many.

Last time I checked, multiplying something by Zero still produces a big ZERO.

I have little interest in the best that broadcasters have to offer.
Why would I want to record all of the junk they use to fill out the
schedule?

I pay for cable because it offers content that I cannot get OTA.

That being said, broadcasters could compete effectively with cable,
taking full advantage of PVRs to deliver content during off hours.
But they do not seem inclined to do this.