[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Jay Cordova <arteffects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:43:49 -0500

An aside I found interesting on the generation thing.

My brother bought a Motorola receiver last year for his Sony HD large
screen. He was in an apartment in Sterling, VA. The guys at circuit city
told him he should wait a couple of weeks and get the "next generation"
receiver. Well, he wanted his DTV immediately.

With the Motorola box he received all (ALL - he looked 'em up) available
digital channels from DC, Baltimore and Richmond - twenty something of them
- with only a little breakup now and then and mostly with one position of
his "DTV" set top antenna. Pretty darned good luck I thought, with me
having trouble receiving DTV signals here from 1000' towers 1-4 miles away.
Within 30 days, he returned the Motorola box and as per advice I solicited
from the group, he got a "next generation" Toshiba (I'm guessing that would
maybe be a fifth gen box late last year, or fourth?).

With the Toshiba, he now receives six channels max with one antenna
position, and about half of the channels he previously received he can no
longer receive at all. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. He was unable to watch the
Super Bowl no matter how much he messed with the antenna. Wish I'd kept my
mouth shut and gone with the "if it ain't broke..." theory!

Any suggestions for him? He's in the middle of moving, but only a few miles
away. I wonder if he'll have the same reception results.

Best Regards,
Jay