[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:00:14 -0500

At 4:04 AM -0500 3/22/05, dmenolan wrote:
>Frank,
>
>However most people in the US are not currently affected as 85% are on ca=
>ble/satellite, NTSC continues, and when the baloon goes up to reveal indo=
>or OTA DTV doesn't work there will be such an outcry that, well folks, NT=
>SC will continue. The only people to lose their shirts will be CE and sil=
>icon vendors prepared to spend millions of dollars on bleeding edge 8VSB =
>technology: and how many CEOs, CFOs and investors will sanction that spen=
>d if there are no perceived markets? None: which is what we are seeing ri=
>ght now. The vendor community is walking away..

You're getting warmer Dermot.

The CE industry walked willingly into this mess. They even paid most
of the costs to develop the dysfunctional ATSC standard. Why would
they do this?

The answer is obvious:

HDTV

The money is in the displays, not the receivers. The CE industry
needed a Trojan Horse to promote the big screen displays that provide
real profit margins, as opposed to the cheap NTSC receivers that they
still sell by the millions.

The strategy has worked very well. The only area that the CE industry
has failed to make significant progress is cable set-top boxes.
Despite a decade long effort to open up this market, the cable
industry has failed to tear down the walls that protect that industry.

This should tell you a great deal about how things really work over here.

Forget technology. If you want to change the world, or even more
important, prevent those changes, become a lawyer or politician.
Engineers are just pawns in this battle.