[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:20:23 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>
>Until recently, the question
> > was whether such equalizers were just pipe dreams.
> > Now we know they exist, and we also know that in
> > time these equalizers can get even better. Because
> > we have Moore's law on our side.
>
>I am not entirely sure we have had an existence proof of such
>equalizers.  We have had one reported demo which apparently so far has
>not been reproduced.  All else is speculation so far.
>
>I realize that Bob & Mark both saw this demo but given what has gone
>before and since with ATSC I think I am again waiting to be convinced.
>
>If it is truly just a Moore's Law delay then ATSC will eventually be
>fine.  If not then maybe it won't.
>
>Frankly I believe Congress should ask Zenith/LG to prove it in
>controlled tests since they claim to now be able to do so.
>
>- Tom

 " Fool me 6 times and I have serious cognitive problems!" From your
AVSForum post. "I have serious cognitive problems" love that line.

Congress does not even recognize that there is a problem. How are they
going to bring up the subject of testing? That would involve the FCC and
how do they say "Oh by the way LG we hear you have a receiver that
actually works after all these years. Could we test it before you put it
back in the closet?"

No Congress and the FCC both seem to want to somehow get this all over
with without bringing up the subject of receivers that work.

I just don't see how they are going to distribute tens of millions of
malfunctioning lowest bid receivers and weather the storm. At the moment
the US population does not have a clue of these problems. With billions
being spent, an analog turn off imminent and people screaming about
having to install expensive rooftop antennas this will get interesting.
Then when even those antennas don't work it goes up a notch.

Then Qualcomm and Crown Castle will start advertising their cell phone
COFDM DTV receivers and people will hook them up to their analog sets to
replace the analog TV reception.
http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/3gsm_03_phonetv.html

The DTV receiver part of the cell phone will probably cost all of $25
and the antenna will be all of ONE inch.

Someone should tell Chairman Barton that 50 Republicans can lose their
seats in the next election after this perfect political storm.

Bob Miller