[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:00:05 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> I don't want to have to deal with all the problems of 8-VSB.
> Why are we still dealing with 8-VSB?

Because in 2002, the FCC conducted a series of tests, from
which it determined that 8-VSB receivers were improving fast
enough to offer a viable DTT system.

That's done. The fact is, the FCC was right in that
conclusion, and there's no point dwelling on it.

So once again I'll ask you, what makes you think that if the
FCC had chosen to switch to COFDM, that the COFDM boxes
built for the US market would be any better than what we get
now from 8-VSB? COFDM boxes are just as easy to mess up as
it was to mess up the LG design.

Think conspiracy theory. If there are dark forces out there
intent on demolishing US FTA TV, forces which have "gotten
to" the good folk at LG, what would keep them from doing the
same thing to US-spec COFDM box manufacturers?

(Somewhat tongue in cheek.)