[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:28:41 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> > Because in 2002, the FCC conducted a series of tests, from which it
> > determined that 8-VSB receivers were improving fast
> > enough to offer a viable DTT system.
> >
> > That's done. The fact is, the FCC was right in that conclusion, and there's
> > no point dwelling on it.
>
>Actually, enough time has now gone past that it is worthwhile asking if they
>were indeed correct and that 8-VSB  receivers were improving fast
>enough.  Except for the mythical 5th gen Shubin receiver the evidence seems to
>point to the FCC being very wrong about that issue.
>
>I would be perfectly happy for Zenith to start marketing a box that proved the
>FCC right and me wrong.  But there is no current indication
>this is going to happen.
>
>If we are still having this conversation 3 more years from now will you still
>insist it is a settled issue and a done deal?  Remember that a
>decision justified by a statement that "things are happening" can be proved
>wrong simply by waiting, and observing no happening things.
>
>I will bet anyone on this list a nickel that Zenith/LG will announce a 6th
>generation 8vsb chip before they ever begin shipping
>non-indoor-challenged 5th gen STB's.
>
>Maybe we can at all reach a consensus about which generation it becomes
>politically correct for us all to start laughing at them?  Surely most
>everyone would agree that SOME number is fair.  Everybody take your best shot.
> How many generations should LG/Zenith be allowed before we are allowed to
>start making fun of them?
>
>- Tom

Never thought of laughing at them. Do you think that would relieve the pain?

I have always thought of LG as a very aggressive corporate entity out to
make the most of their 8-VSB IP which I am sure they paid a lot for. But
it was the duty, the job description of our FCC to look at and test
fairly and then decide what was the best thing to do about the DTV
transition. They didn't.

But then you go another step and you can lay the blame on Congress and
their ignorance of the subject. But then you can go another step and say
it is our political process that requires so much money that Congress
has to be raising cash all the time so they rely on industry to write
our laws. Congress has no time to educate itself. It holds hearings
where representatives of the AARP tell them that their members will be
unhappy if the transition happens without their being informed.

NO engineers, all that was taken care of many years ago. No thought to
why this transition is going nowhere just talk as to how we can force it
through to completion.

Then you can pass the buck to the broadcast industry that took advantage
of that Congressional need to get must carry passed which allowed them
the luxury of not paying attention to the choice of modulation for OTA.
That left the door open for LG to push for 8-VSB regardless of its
merits. And for concerned broadcasters to hold their tongue lest must
carry, multicast must carry or their spectrum be put at risk.

And when it was all over and done what was the rush all about? Why did
we have to lock in 8-VSB and MPEG2 in quicktime. Every since that day
they locked in 8-VSB or that day they scammed us all with the fake test
there HAS BEEN NO RUSH.

Time has stood still for four years. And everyone was so worried that
COFDM would delay things.

There is a new guy on the job, Chairman Barton, he has shown the
willingness to shake up the joint. We should give him some ammunition.

Bob Miller