[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:03:36 -0500

At 4:55 PM -0500 3/24/05, John Shutt wrote:
>There are too many homes with second and third cable ready televisions
>connected to cable without STBs for cable companies to ever completely shut
>down their NTSC tier.  Shrink the NTSC tier to almost nothing but OTAs and
>PEGs maybe, but not eliminate it entirely.

John may be correct about reducing the analog tier to the basic
lifeline channels over the next few years. But the cost for a digital
cable decoder will continue to decline; like DBS the cable companies
will cover most of the cost of these decoders in order to keep that
monthly bill above $40.

>I would not be surprised if there are more second and third sets in homes
>connected to cable without an STB than there are second and third sets
>served by antennas.  It's true in my home.

My guess is that this is true by a margin of 5:1 or higher.  If you
have cable why would you still use an antenna when it is sooooooo
easy to hook up additional sets?