[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: Larry DiGioia <aptget@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:25:20 -0400

Thank you all. NCOLUG lives!

Since my original post, I have done much more testing, but not changed my mind. I have tested with multiple alternative distros that can provide both Nouveau and NVidia drivers. I used three different machines, I dropped GLXGears as a test and switched to GLOBS instead. In every case, loading the Nouveau driver roughly doubled the numbers on GLOBS, and in some cases the difference was even visible on just the normal Gnome desktop.

It also appears that though my NVidia cards are presently "supported" by the company, that will not be the case for long - they are already a few years old. In the end, I really just don't want to worry about driver maintenance - or wake up one day and see "could not start xserver..." - and finally, yes, there just isn't that much difference in what I do. Video playback might have benefited, but I have other machines.

I am more committed than ever to Debian, probably for the wrong reasons, but - I am starting to use my Windows machines more, because I have more Windows stuff to keep up with at work than in the recent past. So as I see it, my Linux machine ought to be a true Linux machine in the FOS spirit, not something trying to be Windows...

I have moved all my email archives to IMAP on my domain hoster, this allows me to use Thunderbird/Windows and 5 minutes later (or even at the same time) Thunderbird/Linux, from anywhere. Over the next year or so I will get all my documents off the home NAS and into the cloud also.

I am also going to use Virtualbox on Debian (and others) a lot more, for fun stuff like old XP P2V and BSD experiments, it's just so easy. Don't get me wrong, I have a Hyper-V server in the basement, but Virtualbox setup and teardown is just way quicker, and machines can be converted to any other format from there.

On 05/28/2013 03:08 PM, Chuck wrote:
I, for one, have no problem installing software that makes my Debian
system un-DFSG.  I've never seen that as a big disadvantage.  There's
nothing that I could do before, that I can't do after.

Can anyone tell my why "un-DFSG'ing" a Debian box is a bad thing?

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 11:53 -0400, Mike wrote:
On 05/21/2013 09:46 PM, Silas Lang wrote:
Debian: very tempting, but missed some hardware and a bit slow

Prepare to un DFSG your debian box.  It's probably appears slow due to
the free Nvidia driver.  Add "non-free" to your main repository in
sources.lst, apt-get update, apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree,
reboot.  Enjoy the life of proprietary video drivers.  This may also
account for you other non detected hardware.

Mike

Subject field.

Subject field.

Subject field.