[ncolug] Re: Wireless router - your suggestion

  • From: tech4u <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 23:36:16 -0400

A powered patch panel is for the POE devices that you can terminate your drop cables on and then patch to an ordinary data switch.

Cory

On 5/28/13 6:40 PM, Kory Pounds wrote:
I am not familiar with a powered patch panel, although maybe it would come back to mind if it was explained to me?

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM, tech4u <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Why not try a powered patch panel.

    Cory

    On 5/28/13 5:15 PM, Chuck wrote:
    It's an Enterasys <http://www.enterasys.com/> model BL-69524ENT
<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.enterasys.com/company/literature/poe-69000-ds.pdf&sa=U&ei=ch2lUdGbOoHJygHqooC4BQ&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFLrGO6H0F4WiEw2Ykak3YN3eCbrQ>. I knew next-to nothing about it when I bought it; I did know that
    it was going to cost me $60.  Now all I need is a nice 242-port
    switch to hang behind it.  (As it stands, I have a mix of small
    un-managed throw away switches just waiting for a lightning
    strike to give me an excuse for upgrade... But they will meet my
    needs for now.)

    On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 16:33 -0400, M. Knisely wrote:
    That's the route I was looking at going.  I've got several good
    24 or 48 port switches.  I really don't need a new switch.  What
is the injector you got?

Mike K.

    On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Chuck <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Give up on looking for a switch, and instead try to find a
        multi-port
        mid-span injector.  I bought one on e-bay for $60 earlier
        this year.  My
        tests show that 23/24 ports are providing poser, and that
        the unit is
        manageable, so it seems like a good deal.  The only bummer
        is that I
        will need to get a bunch of 2-inch long patch cables to go
        from my
        switch to the injector! :) (Not really.  I am joking.
         Poking fun at a
        change-resistant IT company that had dozens of such patch
cables...)

        On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 16:19 -0400, M. Knisely wrote:
        > In my office I have about 160 ports available... 0 are
        powered.  I
        > still haven't found a value positioned powered switch that
        I'm willing
        > to run in my home network.  Anyone have a suggestion?
        >

        > Mike K.
        >

        > On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Chuck
        <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
        >         I agree with the "When possible, hard wire"
        mentality.  I was
        >         just
        >         thinking about how many things would benefits from
        networking
        >         and
        >         POE/POE+, and I believe that there are only a few
        devices in
        >         the average
        >         household that absolutely need 110V AC power.
        >

        >         On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 16:00 -0400, M. Knisely wrote:
        >         > I've got the 2.4Ghz only version of this:
        >         > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ACYEK
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > I love it.  It runs DD-WRT from the factory so
        it's got
        >         every bell and
        >         > whistle you could want.... oh, and it's gigabit
        on the wired
        >         side.
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > The big thing to remember when you're putting in
        wireless is
        >         to look
        >         > at the channels that the other APs in your area
        are set to.
        >          Also
        >         > recall that when your wireless, in the 2.4Ghz
        range, is set
        >         to a
        >         > particular channel, it will bleed over 1.5
        channels in
        >         either
        >         > direction.  For example, an AP on channel 6 will
        overlap
        >         half the
        >         > channel range of 4, all of 5, all of 6, all of 7
        and half of
        >         8.  This
        >         > is why we say that the "useable" channels in the
        US are 1,
        >         6, and 11.
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > So, do your homework and assign your channels
        >         appropriately.  That
        >         > will significantly increase your overall
        throughput on the
        >         wireless.
        >         >  When possible, hard wire.
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > Mike K.
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > Mike K.
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >
        >         > On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Kory Pounds
        >         <kory.pounds@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kory.pounds@xxxxxxxxx>>
        >         > wrote:
        >         >         Everyone,
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >         In a couple months I may be moving into
        a place
        >         in-town. I
        >         >         will need a new Wireless Router and I
        need your
        >         suggestions.
        >         >         There will be residences around me in
        this area with
        >         many
        >         >         wireless devices of different types.
        What do you
        >         suggest for a
        >         >         dependable wireless router with:
        >         >
        >         >
        >         >         1. Dual band, 2.4 and 5.0. My laptop is
        dual-band
        >         for one
        >         >         thing.
        >         >
        >         >         2. typical 4 ethernet ports
        >         >
        >         >         3. USB port for universal access to
        common files
        >         >
        >         >         4. simple network capabilities
        >         >
        >         >         5. Encryption is mandatory. packets will
        be easy to
        >         sniff but
        >         >         with data streams encrypted, the
        neighbors will not
        >         be able to
        >         >         do anything with it. Minimum WPA2, etc.
        Don't let it

        ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
        >         'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.