[ncolug] Re: Wireless router - your suggestion

  • From: Chuck <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 16:02:47 -0400

This can be a two-part question...  You could look at it from a
hardware/software angle.  From a software perspective there are a lot of
reasons why one might choose OpenWRT or one of it's forks; you just
can't go wrong running Linux on your network gear.  Of course you'd want
to make sure that the hardware you buy is on the supported products
list; which dove-tails with the previous thread about drivers and
hardware support for video adapters.

If you don't want to roll your own, but love the idea of a truly open
solution, then I'd start looking at Buffalo products.  I love their
stiff!!  (I'm counting the hours before I convert one of my Nfinity
devices to become a wireless print server for my old Ricoh laser
printer!!)

If either of those two solution seems too far "out there" or you just
want a device you can get up and running in no time, then I'd recommend
D-Link.  I just re-purposed a DIR-628 to be handle wireless in the
upstairs here at the house, and I really like its throughput.

Hope this helps.
Chuck

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 15:47 -0400, Kory Pounds wrote:
> Everyone,
>

> In a couple months I may be moving into a place in-town. I will need a
> new Wireless Router and I need your suggestions. There will be
> residences around me in this area with many wireless devices of
> different types. What do you suggest for a dependable wireless router
> with:
>

> 1. Dual band, 2.4 and 5.0. My laptop is dual-band for one thing.
>
> 2. typical 4 ethernet ports
>
> 3. USB port for universal access to common files
>
> 4. simple network capabilities
>
> 5. Encryption is mandatory. packets will be easy to sniff but with
> data streams encrypted, the neighbors will not be able to do anything
> with it. Minimum WPA2, etc. Don't let it slow wireless connection down
> too much with this.
>
> 6. ability to not interfere/hiccup with other wireless activity nearby
>
> 7. signal strength/range in house
>
> 8. dependability - not fail after a few months and stuff
>
> 9. support/help from manufacturer
>

> What other features are critical to you?
>

> So what do you suggest?
>

> Kory
>
> --
> www.oncedead.com
>
> It is not what you do that determines who you are, it is who you are
> that determines what you do.

Subject field.