[ncolug] Re: Wireless router - your suggestion

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 16:00:57 -0400

I've got the 2.4Ghz only version of this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ACYEK

I love it.  It runs DD-WRT from the factory so it's got every bell and
whistle you could want.... oh, and it's gigabit on the wired side.

The big thing to remember when you're putting in wireless is to look at the
channels that the other APs in your area are set to.  Also recall that when
your wireless, in the 2.4Ghz range, is set to a particular channel, it will
bleed over 1.5 channels in either direction.  For example, an AP on channel
6 will overlap half the channel range of 4, all of 5, all of 6, all of 7
and half of 8.  This is why we say that the "useable" channels in the US
are 1, 6, and 11.

So, do your homework and assign your channels appropriately.  That will
significantly increase your overall throughput on the wireless.  When
possible, hard wire.

Mike K.

Mike K.