[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:47:47 -0400

As I recall this "you'll have to repeat step 2 in certain situations" used
to be an issue, but it's no longer.  The problem that people would run into
is that when they would move to a newer kernel, the kernel module that the
NVidia installer would build would no longer be there.  You would need to
rebuild the module by running the installer agian.

With the more recent Linux distros, they use DKMS (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support).  When you
install the proprietary drivers using their package managers, they know
that they must rebuild the modules when a new kernel is being installed.
 Note that you need to use the distro's "non-free" package repositories to
install and not a tarball though, as I recall.

Mike K.